West Vancouver Yacht Club achieves four-anchor eco-rating in Clean Marine BC program
THE AUDITED ECO-CERTIFICATION REQUIRES ADHERENCE TO RIGID ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS
Georgia Strait Alliance’s award-winning Clean Marine BC program welcomes a new certified marina: West Vancouver Yacht Club’s Fisherman’s Cove facility (WVYC) has achieved a four-anchor rating, which was presented at a private function in August 2015
Clean Marine BC is a voluntary eco-certification program that demonstrates a commitment to environmental best practices by marinas, harbour authorities, boatyards and yacht clubs that reduce and/or eliminate contaminants from entering our waters.
“The West Vancouver Yacht Club has implemented procedures that are having beneficial and measurable impacts on the marine environment, and we welcome them as the newest certified member of the program,” says Christianne Wilhelmson, Executive Director of Georgia Strait Alliance.
WVYC’s four-anchor rating follows a successful independent audit. “We understand and recognize the vital importance of maintaining a clean, natural ocean environment,” says Martin Wale, WVYC’s General Manager. “That is fundamental to our Club’s activities and it helps to protect our cruising waters for future generations.”
Through this certification, WVYC has specifically committed to:
• Eliminating the release of contaminants to the water column, both directly and indirectly;
• Minimizing the release of pollutants to the atmosphere;
• Avoiding contamination of the ground;
• Adopting waste reduction, reuse and recycling strategies;
• Optimizing energy and water conservation;
• Promoting good environmental practices to all parties;
• Abiding by and, where possible, exceeding the requirements of all relevant legislation.
The West Vancouver Yacht Club joined 19 other yacht clubs, marinas, boatyards and harbour authority docks in flying the CMBC flag.
In addition to having its 700-member facility certified, WVYC has adopted the Sailors for the Sea Clean Regatta pledge, to comply with certification standards for yachting events.