1. Required safety equipment
For the 2019 event, all boats registered for the Long, Medium & Short Courses must comply with:
- PIYA Safety Equipment Requirements (January 1, 2017) ‘Coastal’ category; or
- World Sailing Offshore Special Regulations Category 3 (Monohulls) (2016-2017)
All boats competing on the Inshore course must comply with:
- PIYA Safety Equipment Requirements (SER) ‘Inshore’ category (effective March 1, 2016)
- World Sailing Offshore Special Regulations 2016-2017 (OSR) category 4
Full details are provided in the Notice of Race, available January 1, 2019.
2. Crew Experience
Southern Straits can provide a variety of different conditions. It is strongly recommended that at least half the crew have overnight racing experience and have extensive experience as a crew in all aspects of seamanship and navigation.
3. Safety Training
Not fewer than two members of the crew, unless you are racing single handed, shall have attended a half-day, one-day or two-day Safety at Sea Seminar within the last 5 years.
A Safety at Sea one-day seminar will be offered at WVYC, Date to be confirmed. Early Bird registration will be available at a cost of $100 plus GST. Certificates obtained at this seminar, and
the previous 2017 and 2018 half-day seminars, are valid for five years from the
respective seminar dates.
Click here for schedules of upcoming sessions