Learn to Sail: School Sailing Programs
West Vancouver Yacht Club (WVYC) has been delivering high-quality sailing programs to schools on the North shore for many years and this year is proud to announce the introduction of the North Shore School Sailing League program in addition to our one and two-day programs.
Sailing is a physically and mentally challenging sport in which you can participate in it for life. It is an inclusive sport that helps build personal and social skills such as self-reliance, responsibility, and co-operation while enjoying an outdoor, unstructured environment.
We offer a program that allows students to come and experience a day or two of sailing.
The 1 day course
Elementary aged students up to grade 5 will be introduced to sailing in Optimist sailboats.
Grade 6/7 or above will be introduced to sailing in Flying Junior sailboats.
The concepts of steering, towing and sailing in a straight line will be introduced.
The 2 day course
Basic skills taught in our Summer Learn to Sail CANSail 1 course are further developed
Sailors will be able to explore more of sailing with less reliance on instructors.
New skills, such as tacking, gybing and sailing in a fun and safe environment are introduced.
“As a teacher in North Vancouver who has taken students on a sailing field trip, it has been an amazing experience for the students. The students learned to safely maneuver the sailing boats to and from the dock and all were smiling. Sailing was a brand new skill for most of the students but many ended up taking sailing lessons later on because of the taste they got of the sport that one day.”
- Tine Moberg-Parker, Teacher
Why West Vancouver Yacht Club?
· Strong emphasis on safety and all our instructors are Sail Canada qualified and hold current First Aid, Sail Canada Safety Boat and Pleasure Craft Operators Card qualifications.
· Large variety of courses which can be customized
· Dedicated learning centre with a fully equipped classroom and full changing rooms
· Well maintained fleets of age appropriate boats
· Located close to the freeway and in a location renown for excellent sailing conditions.
Provided by WVYC
· CANSail qualified coaches
· Appropriate boats for age of sailors, lifejackets
· Checklick (CANSail database tracking qualfications)
· Regatta organization (if applicable)
N.B. WVYC operates a zero tolerances bullying policy and holds the right to remove the student from the program.
What the School Needs to Provide
· Transport of sailors to and from the Club
· Provide emergency contacts
· A responsible parent or teacher coordinator.
· A specific adult representative for every practice
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I need to be able to swim?
A: No, you will be provided with a life jacket if you do not have your own. There are coaches out on the water to provide assistance if you end up in the water.
Q: What should I bring / wear?
A: Layers provide you more flexibility. Clothing with a high cotton percentage is not recommended, if you have a wetsuit this is always recommended but Lycra, wool and waterproof clothing are good alternatives. Shoes (runners or neoprene boots that can get wet) and toque/sun hat.
Q: Is previous sailing experience required?
A: No, you will be taught all the skills you require to learn to sail.
Click here to register