1. Required safety equipment
For the 2017 event, all boats registered for the Grande, Long, Medium & Short Courses must comply with:
- PIYA Safety Equipment Requirements (March 1, 2016) ‘Coastal’ category; or
- ISAF Offshore Special Regulations Category 3 (Monohulls) (2016-2017)
All boats competing on the Inshore course must comply with:
- PIYA Safety Equipment Requirements ‘Inshore’ category (effective March 1, 2016)
- ISAF Offshore Special Regulations 2016-2017 (OSR) category 4
Full details are provided in the Notice of Race, available November 1, 2016.
2. Crew Experience
Southern Straits can provide a variety of different conditions. It is strongly recommended that at least half the crew have overnight racing experience and have extensive experience as a crew in all aspects of seamanship and navigation.
3. Safety Training
Not fewer than two members of the crew, unless you are racing single handed, must have attended a half-day, one-day or two-day Safety at Sea Seminar within the last 5 years.
A Safety at Sea half-day seminar will be offered at WVYC on Thursday, March 30, 2017 (1730 - 2100). Online registration will open on November 1, 2016. Early Bird registration will be available until March 16, 2017 at a cost of $80 plus GST. Certificates obtained at this seminar, and the previously held 2016 seminar, are valid for five years.
Click here for schedules of upcoming sessions